The Bucket Test
How to Perform a Bucket Test
Performing a bucket test is an easy way to determine if your pool is leaking. It can also tell you if the leak is inside the pool or in the plumbing.
- Turn off your pump and plug your returns and skimmer. (Just like you do to winterize your pool. If you are not sure how to do this, give us a call and we can help.)
- Place a large bucket on the pool steps and fill it with pool water.
- Weigh the bucket down with a brick or rock if necessary.
- Adjust the level of the water in the bucket to match the level of the water in the pool. You can easily do this by adding or removing water. You can also use two pieces of tape to mark the level of the water inside the bucket and the level of the water in the pool
- Wait 24 hours and check the level of the water in the bucket compared to the level of the pool.
- If the water level in the pool is lower, then you have a leak inside your pool and we can fix it.
- If the water level has not changed, removed the plugs in the return and skimmer, turn on the pump, and repeat the test.
If the water level in the pool drops, you have a leak in your plumbing. We can recommend compaines in your area that are qualified to fix your plumbing the first time. However if it rains, the bucket test will need to be repeated, weather permitting.